This guide will show you how to restrict WooCommerce coupons by state or province.
Imagine you have created a discount coupon for WooCommerce, but you don’t want customers from Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, and Arkansas to be able to apply them on checkout. In this case, you need to restrict your coupon by state to ban the mentioned states from using the coupon.
However, it’s impossible to restrict coupons for specific states in WooCommerce. That’s why we’ll show you how to do it with the Country Catalogs for WooCommerce plugin.
It allows you to apply country restrictions for your products, categories, variations, and coupons to create different catalogs for different countries.
You can also select different descriptions and prices for different countries.
Some reasons to restrict WooCommerce coupons by state:
- You’re creating a marketing campaign and have created different coupons for different provinces or states.
- It’s not a good deal for you to apply discounts to different states because taxes are high on those states.
- You just want to give that discount coupon to customers from your own state.
After installing and activating the plugin, follow these simple steps to restrict your WooCommerce coupons by state.
Step 1. Open the plugin’s global settings
Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Country Restrictions.
Step 2. Enable the state restrictions for WooCommerce coupons
You need to select these options:
- Geolocation method: We will show a state selector in the header
- Restrict by: State or province from one country
- Important. The list of states will be from the “base country” defined in the WooCommerce settings. To change the base country, go to WooCommerce > Settings > General > Store Address > Country.
- Hit Save changes.
Step 3. Restrict coupons by state or province
Once the global state restrictions have been set, you need to select the coupons state restrictions for each coupon.
Go to WooCommerce > Coupons and open a specific coupon that you want to restrict by country.
Now go to Usage Restrictions > Country Restrictions and select the following values:
- Selected countries: Select the states in which your coupons will be disabled. In this case, we’ll select these states:
- Available in selected countries: No
- Update the coupon to save the changes.
Once you save the changes to your coupon, customers from any other country will be able to apply the coupon at checkout.
You can set up a popup to ask the customers for their state when they visit the store:
As you see here, we have selected the Connecticut state in the dropdown, and we see a message saying, “Coupon code applied successfully.”
However, if we select any state where our coupons are restricted, we’ll see a message saying, “Coupon is not valid.”
As you see, restricting your WooCommerce coupons by state is really simple with the Country Catalogs for WooCommerce plugin. You can create great marketing campaigns based on the customers’ state or region using this plugin.