We want to share with you a great way to show different WooCommerce product descriptions in different countries. For example, we can show a description that says, “What a great product” for El Salvador, and another description that says “This is my great product” for the United States. Of course, these are just examples; you decide what kind of description you’ll set for your products.
This can be very useful if you sell products in different countries with different languages or with different ways of calling things. In such cases, it is necessary to write different descriptions of the same product so that your customers understand the product without problems. You don’t necessarily have to create two products or two stores; you can describe the same product differently for each country.
For this we’ll use the Country Catalogs for WooCommerce plugin. This allows you to manage how your products appear or not in different countries.
1- DIFFERENT SHORT DESCRIPTIONS BY COUNTRY
The first thing you have to do is open the product you are going to edit. To do this, go to Products and select the product you want to edit, and then go to the Product short description section.
Here you must paste these short codes:
- [wccr_country countries=“SV”]What a great product[/wccr_country]
- [wccr_country countries=“US”]This is a great product[/wccr_country]
As you can see, the codes differ in the country and the text we are going to show in each of the countries. If these are not the countries in which you are going to display the descriptions, simply change the part of the country.
How to select countries
You can use the country codes separated by commas. For example, US = United States, ES = Spain.
How to select entire continents
Use these values to select continents.
- Region Name_Africa
- Region Name_Americas
- Region Name_Asia
- Region Name_Europe
- Region Name_Oceania
For example: this shortcode selects the entire African continent:
[wccr_country countries=“Region Name_Africa”]This text is for Africa[/wccr_country]
How to select sub continents
- Sub-region Name_Northern Africa
- Sub-region Name_Sub-Saharan Africa
- Sub-region Name_Latin America and the Caribbean
- Sub-region Name_Northern America
- Sub-region Name_Central Asia
- Sub-region Name_Eastern Asia
- Sub-region Name_South-eastern Asia
- Sub-region Name_Southern Asia
- Sub-region Name_Western Asia
- Sub-region Name_Eastern Europe
- Sub-region Name_Northern Europe
- Sub-region Name_Southern Europe
- Sub-region Name_Western Europe
- Sub-region Name_Australia and New Zealand
- Sub-region Name_Melanesia
- Sub-region Name_Micronesia
- Sub-region Name_Polynesia
For example: this shortcode selects the North America:
[wccr_country countries=“Sub-region Name_Northern America”]This text is for North America[/wccr_country]
When you’re done, simply click on Update to update your product description.
If you check now, you will see that in El Salvador, the text displayed is “What a great product”.
While in the United States, the text shown in the short description is “This is my great product”.
2- CUSTOM MESSAGE FOR RESTRICTED COUNTRIES
You can also show a custom message for restricted countries. Let’s suppose one of our products is not available in neither El Salvador nor the USA.
In that case, we need to open the product we want to edit in wp-admin > Products, and then paste this code in the Short description section:
- [wccr_country countries=“SV,US” disallowed=“1”]This product is not available in your country[/wccr_country]
And that message will be added to the short description when the products are not available in those countries.
It’s really simple. You can show different short descriptions in different countries with just adding these short codes to your product short descriptions.